Monday, February 20, 2006

Short Thought Stream

I've been neglecting this blog for some time now. Not that there weren't things equally interesting going on that I used to write about, but I just haven't found the time to write about the goings on. Work has been a real drag for the last three months or so, but things are starting to look up again.

It seemed like every time I was doing something in the lab the result would not be good enough. Maybe I would have a measurable effect, but then I'd have some problem with the controls for the experiment. It's been like that for a while, very discouraging. The last two weeks have been marginally better. I've been trying to generate a copy of a gene so that I can put a gene that wasn't previously expressed into a cell line and get expression of the protein it encodes. It will be a project which I could turn into a thesis if it works, so I'm crossing my fingers.

As far as family life goes I'm learning every day how important communication is. Most people have heard it hundreds of times before, but practice is much more difficult I'm learning. I think our marriage keeps getting better though as we learn to read each other and talk more effectively.

What seems to have made a particular difference for my self and my marriage is my growing spirituality. I think it's given me a much more positive outlook on many things, and I hope when RCIA comes around again next year to begin to learn what it takes to become a Catholic. I used to wonder how people could be religious, without solid evidence of God. Then I came to understand a little better what the word "faith" means, finding the ability to believe in something even without clear proof. Evidence supports fact, but faith needs no evidence to exist and do good.

One last thing I've been thinking of that I should finally get down is how I feel guilty I've not been in touch with my friend AJ. I had sent him an email saying Ellie and I would like to visit he and Jaime while they were in Grand Haven for the holidays. In the end Ellie and I spent all the holidays either in Detroit or at home, so we never go to see them. That wouldn't have been as bad had I contacted him, but he called and emailed me and I never got back to him. I'm awful about that kind of stuff, even with my brothers and parents. I guess the thing to do is email him and tell him all that, the sooner the better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home