Saturday, December 25, 2004

Inside Milkshake Joke

Blogger seems to have choked today so I couldn't directly edit the audioblog post I made. It requires a little backstory.

A few weeks back Ellie came to me to tell a story about one of her coworkers going to Best Buy with their mother. The mom wanted to get a gift for her 10 year old daugher, so she went over to the Best Buy employee in the music section to ask for a CD, but she didn't know who the artist was. So she tried to sing it:
"My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard, and they're like it's better than yours, damn right, it's better than yours. I could teach you, but I'd have to charge."

The guy from Ellie's work was quite mortified that his mother was singing this in the middle of Best Buy, and I must admit the image of a 40-50ish white woman singing it in there is quite funny to me. Apparently the Best Buy employee had a look on his face like he was fighting an internal battle not to explode in laughter, while Ellie's coworker was try to get his mom to stop, and explaining what the milkshake was all about. That is another humorous image for me: a white guy trying to explain to his middle-age mom about why Kellis' album probably isn't what she wants to get for her daughter, in the middle of Best Buy.

For the last several weeks it's been a running joke for me to start singing that song at inappropriate times for fun. This morning I rendered a choral edition for the family, while wearing some of my new Christmas gear (my father-in-law got it all on tape, I have a feeling it will be humorous for years to come). Ellie wanted me to call her cousins and sing it in the phone, but I'm not convinced it would be funny without the backstory. Instead I decided to audioblog it for posterity. Unfortunately I screwed the words up, but sometimes that's the funniest part so I'll just leave it like it is.


this is an audio post - click to play

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home