Wednesday, September 15, 2004

McSweeney's Internet Tendency: The Best Jokes Are Dangerous, An Interview with Kurt Vonnegut, Part One

McSweeney's Internet Tendency: The Best Jokes Are Dangerous, An Interview with Kurt Vonnegut, Part One
McSweeney's Internet Tendency: The Best Jokes Are Dangerous, An Interview with Kurt Vonnegut, Part Two
McSweeney's Internet Tendency: The Best Jokes Are Dangerous, An Interview with Kurt Vonnegut, Part Three

My brothers introduced me to Kurt Vonnegut. For some reason I never got to read him in high school, or if it was assigned I simply didn't read it (how I wish that had been the case with The Deerslayer). It's been some time since I read any more of his work. I believe the last writing of his I read was Breakfast of Champions.

Today I came across an interview with him that was done in 2002. It reminded me of all the things I liked about his writing. I just love reading what this guy has to say. Give it a look see if you get the chance. My favorite part was probably:

Q: You're known for your irreverence as a writer. Is there anything you refuse to write about?

Kurt Vonnegut: Never try to write about your father. Have you?

Q: No.

Vonnegut: Well, if you tried your brain would turn to concrete.

Q: You think?

Vonnegut: Oh, yeah. Men can't do it. You learn about life by the accidents you have, over and over again, and your father is always in your head when that stuff happens. Writing, most of the time, for most people, is an accident and your father is there for that, too. You know, I taught writing for a while and whenever somebody would tell me they were going to write about their dad, I would tell them they might as well go write about killing puppies because neither story was going to work. It just doesn't work. Your father won't let it happen. [Laughs]


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home