Friday, September 03, 2004

Logical Fallacy

New Scientist

The above link goes to The New Scientist website, where they are interviewing a man who did a PhD on "truth." I'm guessing to say that he actually did his dissertation the subject, but I'm just nitpicking again.

I really enjoy it because often times I hear people spouting off advice that they've been told themselves by a coworker/parent/authority, without stopping to briefly themselves if it truly makes sense. I think this is the kind of behavior that leads to "group think" and other failures of reasoning. It's particularly critical of scientists and some lobby groups (the British Medical Association in particular), but I think rightfully so. It also points out a lot of other "fallacy" types that people follow, and I must admit to being guilty of some of them. I like to think I'm a little more reasonable than most, but I'm biased I suppose.

It's only about a 10 minute read (or less), but I think it's got ideas in it that are important for all of us to consider!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home