Thursday, November 06, 2003

So I’ve started to study for the next Pharmacology exam (next Thursday). I really want to do well in this class. This exam is all about how neurotransmitters are released from nerve cells. There is some stuff about how we form memories too (well, not really memories). It’s actually more about how an individual nerve cell becomes accustomed to transmitting and signal, and over time that signal gets stronger (it’s called “long-term potentiation”). It’s funny that we would learn that, because when I was in 9th grade the wrestling team went down to Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia and we had an instructor who would teach use these wrestling maneuvers and then tell them we “gotta get it in your nervous system.” Now I’m pretty sure the guy had no idea about how long-term potentiation occurs (he was a peach farmer in Virginia who had a talent for building state-championship caliber wrestlers and teams (as an aside, his sons went on to becombe successful coaches too at Great Bridge High School in Virginia; if you want to see a successful program check them out!)), but the statement stuck with me and now I can really appreciate the mechanism of it!

I went to the library and got the new John Mayer CD, as well as some others. Ripped it to mp3s to listen to it. I must say I like it for now. I also got a few others like Beth Orton (techno kinda), Cat Stevens (older folksy music), and the Matrix Reloaded soundtrack (techno and hard rock). I wish I had used the library more growing up, or at least in high school. There are so many great books to read. I grabbed "All the President’s Men," but I don’t think I’ll get to read it until after my orals. I heard about it on National Public Radio when they were discussing books that should go in the theoretical “Library of Democracy.” I wish I had a comment system set up for this blog so that people could input their own thoughts on what books should go in a “Library of Democracy.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home