Saturday, October 25, 2003

It has been quite some time since I last took some time to write in the ol’ blog. Let’s update in the academic world first. Got the scores back from the Biochemistry exam, I got 89%. I don’t know how the rest of the class did, but I was not disappointed with the result. I still apparently don’t understand radioimmunoassay (I thought I did :-) ). I also have my neuropharmacology exam. That went OK as well. I was a bit above the class mean on that one (one the first exam in the class I was a bit below), so I’m in about the middle of the class I guess. I’d like to do a lot better on the next exam, which is also the biggest. I’ve learned a great deal from the class, so it’s definitely been an informative class.

I’ve also scheduled my oral exams for the determination of whether I am qualified for an MS or not. November 18th at 9AM. Less than a month away. I’ll be glad to take it and have that resolved, especially before Thanksgiving and exams.

On the personal side I went to Grand Rapids yesterday to spend a little time with AJ Cook, one of my friends from high school. I only stayed for dinner and then turned around and drove back the East Lansing, but I was glad to see him. His birthday is 2 days before mine, so we’ve always had that connection. I saw a lot of the former Grand Haven wrestlers there too. I guess I shouldn’t say a lot, but I saw the usual suspects (Scott, Vince, and Eric). No Mike Winter though. I was somewhat surprised by that, but I guess AJ didn’t hang out with Mike as much as I did.

Rob got a knee injury a while back (I believe it was a torn medial cruciate ligament (MCL), the one in the knee that helps prevent lateral instability of the joint; I could be wrong though, it’s been a while since I had my human anatomy class). I was disappointed for him, after all he returned to Hillsdale this past fall for the sole purpose of playing football. I think it will be unlikely he’ll be able to get All-American too since he’ll probably miss ~5 games. Really disappointing. The even worse thing is, a similar thing happened to him his senior year of high school (missed a few games with an injury), which kept him from breaking a few records for tackles.

Professionally things are going ok as well. I’m starting to get comfortable in the Roth/Ganey lab and getting back into the research mindset. There is a much better structure in this lab than the last one I was in (where I had to do almost all the maintenance and ordering duties). I’m thankful to have the opportunity to work there. I hope it turns into a full-time job after I graduate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home