Tuesday, September 30, 2003

I started reading "Breakfast of Champions" by Kurt Vonnegut the other day. I liked "Slaughterhouse 5," so I thought I'd read this one. Dave (youngest North) commented to me one time that he really liked it. I must say, I'm only 2 chapters into it and I've found it very humorous, just as Dave suggested I might.

I was writing Ellie an email, and I thought I should throw it up here. It was kind of a flow-of-conciousness thing, but I think a lot of it may hold true.

"I'm just thinking about you and how I love you. I know you stress about money. I wish you didn't. Think about all the wonderful things we have for ourselves, like Tivos, computers, treadmills. Now think about a good job. Supportive parents. Love for each other. Time on the weekends to spend together. Bright futures.

So what if there is $200 or $20,000 in a checking account. That is something so small, and we have so much good. Try to keep things in perspective. It is so Western to dwell on what we want next and money, so on. It's time we look at what we have and appreciate it, rather than always pine over what to get next. Houses, cars, computers, lunches... all these things come and go. We've got a loving relationship. Those are much more fragile and should be appreciated and nutured, not allowing all those outside societal desires to outdo the Joneses to pervert them."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home